Sunday, August 07, 2005

A Whole Lotta Sissies.

On Friday I went with Gary to see "Southern Baptist Sissies" which was presented by the Uptown Players. It was a good play mixing both humor with the heaviness of homosexuality and religion. It's based on Del Shore's experiences growing up in Texas so it's kinda auto-biographical.

It was interesting to sit there and hear people sniffle and get teary eyed during some scenes. It was obvious that this hit home with some members of the audience. While I did think it was moving, it didn't move me in the way it did for other people watching it. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that I was able to separate my spirituality from my sexuality early on in life. It was obvious that some were conflicted when they were younger about who they were and accepting themselves.

I'm just glad that I have strong sense of who I am and am able to be happy with myself and my life. Hopefully one day American society will be able to allow everyone to be who they are without the fear of humiliation and rejection. Yeah I know.....wishful thinking!

3 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So beside you didnt care for the material..How was the level of production?

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Chico said...

It's not that I didn't care for the material. It just didn't get to me as it did for other people watching it. Overall it's a good production. Rick Espaillat who plays the preacher is a frightenly convincing.

The humor injected is a warm welcome to help balance out the heaviness of the material. You will find yourself laughing!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger KC said...

Isn't it great how each person in the audience can have a totally different experience after watching the same thing on the stage? That's what's so great about theatre.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home