Tuesday, August 16, 2005

I Bought It Because I Don't Need It.

Before coming into work I was pumping some gas. I don't bother looking for the cheapest price because now I really don't see a difference between paying $2.54 a gallon vs $2.59.

As I'm standing outside of my car I began to look around and noticed something. I noticed the guy at the pump in front of me was in a brand new Hummer (it still had the temporary plate on it). A few pumps over there was another guy filling up his Escalade and a woman putting gas in her Expedition. Then it hit me....

It hit me that we have no one to blame but ourselves for what we are paying to fuel up our vehicles. After seeing these people I got upset then I became disgusted. It was then that I realized that we are a nation obsessed with excess. Is there really any need to have vehicles THIS large? We use 25% of the world's oil making us the country with the largest consumption and yet there are people out there buying Hummer's and other large SUV's.

So I guess we can cry all we want, but it's not going to do any good. Who's to blame? I think we are!

1 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger KB said...

You know what I learned in my Geology class that the price of feul is actually much much higher that what we pay for it. So if we actually started getting charged what really costs to dig up and make accessable to the world, I think people would think twice about how much feul they actually use.

Don't get me wrong, I think it sucks that prices are so high, but maybe if prices keep going up, people will start driving cars that are better for the environment, and start driving less. Maybe they could even get out and walk or bike ride again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home