Thursday, August 11, 2005

Get Yer Head Outta Yer Ass!

In today's edition of the Dallas Morning News there is a story about Texas now being the 4th state where Whites are the minority and Hispanics have become the majority. I read this on the website and found it interesting. What I found even more interesting was the section where you can put comments on the story. Some of what I read completely floored me. I can't believe some of the idiotic things that were written.

One person had the audacity to say that Texas is pretty much being given back to Mexico even after our forefathers fought hard to free the state from Mexico. "Free" the state?? What?? Am I missing something?? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Texas pretty much invaded and taken from Mexico?? How is that considered being freed? Texas (along with New Mexico and Arizona) was taken as a part of plan to have the U.S. span "from sea to shining sea." Is this ideaology of being "freed" thought of in the same manner when these "forefathers" landed on Plymouth Rock and proceeded to pilage and slaughter the Indians then force them onto reservations all while taking their land?

But don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing the U.S. or anything as I do believe that this is a wonderful country. But I get so irritated when people completely disregard how the U.S. came to be.

Another person wanted to know that since he is now considered the minority if he can have all the benefits that non-whites get (i.e. affirmative action). Hmmm.....you've had the advantage for, what........500+ years? And now that you are less than 50% of the population you automatically want these advantages? How about waiting 500+ years to gain them? How about being made to feel inferior because of the color of your skin? How about being paid less and forced to work as domestic help or not being able to go to college because it's financially out of your reach? How about being forced into slavery? How bout being forced to ride in the back of buses and having to use completely seperate public facilities? Only after you have endured what people of color have had to overcome to become somewhat equal today can you be extended such "advantages." I say "somewhat equal" because if every one was considered to be on the same level there would be no need for things such as affirmative action.

People of color have had to fight for a very, very long time to get to where we are today. Because let's face it folks....no matter how far we think we've come there are still those who feel that being Hispanic, Black, Asian, etc. is not as good.

I'll get off my soap box now! :-P

1 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your soap box. I find it interesting that even though a majority of the population is Hispanic, the race is still grossly underrepresented in the Texas legislature. People need to realize that even though the demographics have changed, whites are still working to maintain control of the state. Shouldn't a state with a majority Hispanic population have that reflected in the governing body??? I think that the Hispanic population ought to start stepping up and taking more leadership roles in the state. And whitey needs to settle down and stop being racist pricks. Okay...my turn to get off the soap box. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home