Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Abercrombie & Fitch: Racist Or Progressive? You Decide!

Personally I have never liked A&F. My reasoning is that their clothes are way overpriced and really not that great. Plus when you spend 4 years on a college campus with too many people wearing their clothes, everybody starts looking the same.

In today's news, A&F has settled a $40 million race suit and has agreed to pay black, hispanic, and asian employees and job applicants after being accused of promoting whites at the expense of minorities. This really comes to no surprise to me. Spend some time at various A&F stores and you'll see a trend: mainly white employees who look alike, like they came out of a cookie cutter factory and every picture in the store showcasing a white model.

This class-action federal lawsuite requires A&F to adhere to a consent decree that requires them to implement new store policies and programs to promote diversity and prevent discrimination. They must also hire a vice president of diversity and hire up to 25 diversity recruiters. A&F has also promised that its marketing campaigns would reflect diversity.

CEO Mike Jeffries is quoted as saying, "We have, and always have had, no tolerance for discrimination. We decided to settle this suit because we felt that a long, drawn out dispute would have been harmful to the company and distracting to management." I don't buy this. Whenever companies or individuals don't want to own up to their mistakes they decide to take the easy way out and settle instead of clearing their name. If A&F honestly felt that they had absolutely no tolerance for discrimination they would have implemented such strategies a long time ago. It Seems to me that they wouldn't have begun such policies without this lawsuit.

4 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger KB said...

Oh Chico Chico Chico. Don't be so blind. I went into A&F this weekend, and their massive poster that they have on the back wall has one token black person on it.
So they do have black people, there just aren't very many of them... (Hope you hear the sarcasm in that) There are however, more black and hispanic people in their catalogs. Even though it is not an even dispersment.

But really now, I don't know many black or hispanic people who care to look like anything A&F has to offer. Even though I don't think they should be using all white people in their adds, you have to admit that white college students are their target market, and that is what they've been using to target them.

I agree with you. After college where eveyone wears that sheot, I'm pretty sick of it too, and if they weren't guilty, they shouldn't have settled so quickly or at all. It's a shame that people have to be forced to hire different shades of people. Living in a society of only one race is no fun.

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People just shouldn't wear A&F because its tacky, if for no other reason. What I find truly amusing is that Karl Lagerfeld makes sizist comments all the time but no one is taking any action against Chanel. And why should they... Karl is a god.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Erik Mann said...

I was searching for blogs that had Dallas, TX in them and came across yours. I live in Dallas and have a self defense school. I like the posts on your blog, so I've bookmarked it to stop back by periodically. Take care.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home