Monday, October 18, 2004

Hot Dogs And Other Things.

I must say that last nights episode of "Desperate Housewives" was hilarious. I tell you.....if you haven't been watching this show, you should. It is sort of a soap opera with ongoing story lines, but they aren't hard to follow. This is definitely my favorite show after "Alias," of course!

So this morning I was doing my usual routine at work as I do every morning by checking email, returning phone calls, and reading the news online. I never buy a newspaper. Why waste perfectly good money when you can read it for FREE on the web??? I came across this story on msnbc.com about airport security checkpoints and spare change. Did you know that last year at total of $321,329.48 was collected at the nations airports security checkpoints in change?? Isn't that crazy??? At DFW International alone there was $13, 355.51 collected which came in second only to Chicago's O'Hare with $13,938.53. Of course I wondered what was done with the money. The answer came a little later in the article. Every year it is all deposited into the general fund for the U.S. Treasury Department. Makes me wonder what they do with it.

Now on to everyone's favorite food.....HOT DOGS! I was talking to Carrie this morning after remembering that I was supposed to call her back last night. OOPS! She told me that she was going to go have lunch with her son at school and that hot dogs were being served. She doesn't eat these things. She said she wasn't going to breathe through her nose the entire time she was there because the smell alone is enough to make her gag. I on the other hand enjoy a good hot dog. She swears up and down that they are made from, as she puts it, "Snouts, hair and hooves." I told her she was insane. So I went to google while she was on the phone and typed in the sentence "What are hot dogs made of" and what I found was....well, interesting.

I was on the healthy eating website and they proceeded to say that hot dogs are made from pork, chicken, beef, or turkey or a combination these meats. It said that all beef or all pork hot dogs are made from one animal (kinda scary to know that other animals are combined in some brands) and I was a little relieved because I only eat all beef ones. It then said that if on the list of ingredients, if the words "animal byproducts" or "mechanically seperated meat" is listed then you are pretty much eating crap. Things like liver, heart and other organs are sent through the grinder because there are some meat left on them. On some occassions even some bone ends up getting grinded through. I thought Carrie was going to throw up on the phone.

So let this be a lesson to all......if the words "animal byproducts" or "mechanically seperated meat" appear on the package of your hot dogs (and this includes bologna), DO NOT EAT IT!! For Gods sake go spend the extra $1 and buy the all beef or all pork kinds!!!

Oh I wish I were an Oscar Mayer weiner.........

3 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger CR said...

If you buy Kosher hot dogs you can bet you are only getting the good stuff.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, thanks, Cheeks, for killing my love for Sonic foot-long coneys. I'm sure it won't last, though.

Yeah, I bet you do!

luciana :)

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger KB said...

Isn't there worst stuff in Menudo and Barbacoa?

If you were a hick like I am now with my fancy farmer husband, you could make your own sausage and hotdogs from real cow parts. ;o) I don't ever have to worry about tainted meat anymore because we either kill it ourselves, or buy it from the butcher in town.

Now isn't it funny that I moved out of Texas to become a redneck? How ironic.

Actually, in all seriousness. It is nice to get meat that you know isn't messed with and doesn't have any chemicals in it. This is a perk I am glad to have up here. I love my man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home