Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Bally's = BAD!

I'm going to forwarn you. This is going to be a bitch session about Bally's. Basically, they suck.....no, I stand corrected.....they FUCKING suck! Let me tell you what happened:

Back in Nov. of 2001, I wanted to join a gym. Since Bally's was the only one near my house I went to them. When you are a new member, they lock you into a 3 year contract, which I didn't have a problem with because I was having a card charged monthly for the dues. 2 months into it, I decided to just pay off all 3 years on a credit card. Overall I've been pretty happy with them untiil now.

I got a renewal notice about a week and a half ago notifying me that my membership expires on Dec. 15. I was given 3 options to renew: 1 year at $325.75, 2 years at $633.26, and 3 years at $925.54. They also let me know that for a one-time charge of $99 I can upgrade from my Fitness level to a Platinum level so I can work out at any Bally's location in the DFW area. Wonderful! So I called and told the customer service person that I wanted to do the 3 years plus the $99 upgrade fee which brought the total to $1024.54. I told her that I was going to give her a card number to have the amount charged monthly over the 3 years. I was told that I had to pay the full amount NOW.....I cannot be charged monthly. This set a long debate as to why they couldn't do this. So she put me on hold.

When she came back she said that if I wanted to billed monthly I can only renew for 1 year out at a time. I said fine....I'll do that. Then she said that my total charged now would be $423.75, which was the 1 year option and the upgrade fee. This confused me. I explained to her that is not what she just said, so I asked for a supervisor. The minute this supervisor got on the phone, I could hear the attitude in her voice and knew it wasn't going to go well. I started off by explaining the conversation between me and the CSA and she rudely interrupted me and said "I know what was said.....I was standing right there." She then told me that my options were to pay the full $1024.54 now or go to another gym. I was really shocked at this. I told her that I was amazed that a member who had paid their initial contract in full and was wanting to remain with them was being treated so badly. She said, "Well sir, that's your opinion." I immediately hung up.

At this point I went to the website and wrote a letter to the corporate office. This was their response:

Dear Mr. Segura:
 
           Re:  Account no. 0045 802 624 002
 
Thank you for your recent e-mail to Bally Total Fitness.
 
By electing to take advantage of the 3 year renewal  and upgrade option for $1024.54, you are electing to pay this in full.  Unfortunately, this offer can not be paid monthly.
 
Thank you for choosing Bally Total Fitness to serve your health and fitness needs.
 
Bally Total Fitness
Member Services Department

So my response was this:

Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for your form letter response.  You have made my decision to leave Bally's much easier and I look forward to spending long-term dollars with one of your competitors who appreciates their members.

Luciano Segura III

So in essense, I am upset that I was treated this way and can't believe that they obviously don't care. I have no problem going to 24 Hr. Fitness which does not lock you in any type of contract and has nicer facilities. So stay away from Bally's.....they are evil evil evil!!

2 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

Sounds much like Blockbuster.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger KB said...

Remember the days when a good customer wasn't treated as just a number? Just a warning though. 24 Hour doesn't care about the person either. I tried to talk to them about making my membership better, and they didn't budge either. But at least you aren't locked into a huge up front payment, and you can quit whenever you like. Overall, after being brutally raped up front. I liked 24 hour for the 3 years I was there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home